In established epee there are four conceivable watchmen a fencer can embrace as the reason for assault and protection. These incorporate the straight arm or long monitor, the medium or bowed arm protect, the short watch, and an indistinguishable fundamental protect from predominant in thwart. Of these, three (medium, short, and thwart) make due in present day fencing. This influences the straight arm to watch a particularly established way to deal with the fundamental battling position of the fencer who wall with a French grasp. It is depicted by Castello (1933), Grave (1934), Vince (1937), Lidstone (1952), and representations in Faire, Fildes, and Gray’s history of The Epee Club (2000) demonstrate the monitor being used as ahead of schedule as 1901, frequently with the hand situated toward the handle end of the grasp.
The fencer expect the straight arm watch from an ordinary position of monitor with the legs and middle. The weapon arm is broadened completely, making a straight line between the forward shoulder and the purpose of the weapon in the line of 6th. The point persistently debilitates the adversary’s closest target region, theoretically the hand and lower arm. The muscles of the shoulder and arm ought to be casual to permit fast, smooth development of the edge. In protection repels are executed either with the cutting edge or the chime.
The straight arm protect offers huge favorable circumstances:
• Like the point in line in thwart or saber, the straight arm protect presents a prompt danger to any forward development by the rival.
• The forward position of the point diminishes the separation to target, expanding the compelling strategic speed of an assault or counterattack from the protect.
• The forward position of the arm and ringer makes it workable for generally little sharp edge and chime developments to slice off edges to the objective and capture assaulting cutting edges, expanding the security it offers.
There are, notwithstanding, drawbacks to the protect:
• The fencer utilizing the straight arm protect must be familiar with the watch keeping in mind the end goal to dependably unwind the hand, arm, and shoulder – generally development is slower and might be unpredictable.
• The completely stretched out sharp edge is helpless against assaults on the cutting edge and takings of the edge. The fencer needs to keep up consistent watchfulness to have the capacity to hoodwink such activities.
• The completely stretched out arm is helpless against burrows from underneath (assaults with angulation coordinated upwards), and any blunder in position uncovered the hand as an objective.
The straight arm watch is an altogether established protect – we can archive its utilization as ahead of schedule as 1901 and by the 1950s its was vanishing from fencing writings. It adds to the epee fencer’s toolbox the capacity to change protects, convoluting adversary’s hostile difficulties. To a degree unmatched by alternate watchmen, it offers an adjusted ability for offense and barrier, keeping up a forward danger and possessing a position that diminishes adversaries’ entrance to the fencer’s objective. Any traditional epee fencer should know the strategies for its business, and, for those schools which grasped the straight arm protect, be talented in its application.